Monday, December 12, 2011

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

- from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There

Jabberwocky by Daniel Coleman is the story of Tjaden and his quest to find the Jabberwocky, the infamous creature from the Lewis Carol poem, who has been terrorizing the world of Wonderland.

There was action, adventure and betrayal, all things I enjoy heartily. Throw in an interesting twist that the Jabberwocky may be more than a mindless beast and we’ve got ourselves a fun story.

Confession: I’ve never read Alice in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass. All I know is the Disney version of Wonderland and at one time I memorized the Jabberwocky poem (still remember quite a bit too). But after reading Jabberwocky I’m more inspired than ever to read the source material that influenced Daniel Coleman’s version. And fortunately my husband found our copy recently during a de-cluttering of our spare room.

I definitely want to read more about Wonderland and not just the original version by Lewis Carroll. I’m all about Expanded Universes and fantastical worlds that are created with dozens of stories to be told and explored. I’ve had issues with stories in the past that felt like a word quota had to be reached, but that wasn’t the case here. In fact, I wanted more! But, that’s what Hatter is for:

4 comments:

  1. I've always loved the Jabberwocky poem. These books sound interesting, I want to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll send you a copy of Jabberwocky along with your Christmas cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of either of these, but I recently reread the Alice books, so I'm all set to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Let me know what you think of them after you read them :)

    ReplyDelete