Monday, October 17, 2011

Fragile Things Group Read, Week 6

It is now week 6 of the group read of Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, hosted by Stainless Steel Droppings. After this only two more weeks! Time flies when you're having fun (or venting frustration with some of these short stories! But still fun!).

This weeks stories were shorter and much more interesting to me. And no emotional breakdowns! Just little chills running up and down my spine. Very appropriate for October. And remember, there will be spoilers!

So this weeks stories are:

My Life

Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot

Feeders and Eaters

Diseasemaker's Croup

My Life: Here we have someone who has had one too many drinks and keeps telling very outrageous tales. This reminded me of a time, in my high school drama class, how we had to take song lyrics and create a story around it, then perform in front of the class. I chose Been Caught Stealing by Jane's Addiction and I performed it as a young girl, at a slumber party, bragging about how much she likes to steal. The narrator of My Life and the character I created both will say anything to be the center of attention. And I thought it was interesting in the Introduction, Neil said he is often asked by others to use My Life as an audition piece. I believe it's a good choice.

Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot: There are 22 very short vampire tales. My favorites were The Fool, The Priestess and The Lovers. The Fool wants to become a vampire. He says he "wants to live forever." Just as it seems he's about to get his wish, the vampire stops and tells him, "This is not life," and leaves. It was written in such a way that it sent a chill up my spine and I also felt some sadness for the vampire who probably didn't want to become what he is and now he's faced with The Fool asking for something he knows nothing about. In The Priestess, an Oprah-like talk show host is interviewing a woman who claims to be a vampire. I love how the talk show host, aka The Priestess, reveals herself to the impostor. I didn't get the reveal at first but when I did I giggled. The Lovers is so sad, dark and creepy. Another short tale that sent a chill up my spine.

Feeders and Eaters: Poor poor Eddie Barrow. As he tells his tale you are giving him your full attention, unlike the narrator who is more concerned with whether Eddie is going to ask him for money. But Eddie is telling a very frightening tale of what has happened to him and maybe even pleading for help... or release from his predicament. Such a subtle way to tell a horror story that was chill inducing.

Diseasemaker's Croup: A very dry and boring read for me. I found my mind wandering. Neil said in the Introduction that he was asked to contribute an entry for a book of imaginary diseases. Using a program called Babble and an old book of advice for a home physician this was the result. It read as one so Mission: Accomplished? Fortunately it's short so you can breeze through it.

Overall, My Life, the Vampire Tarots and Feeders and Eaters were my favorites. For next week, the stories will be:

In The End

Goliath

Pages from a Journal Found in a Shoebox Left in a Greyhound Bus Somewhere Between Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Louisville, Kentucky

How to Talk to Girls at Parties

Whoa, gotta love some of these short story titles. Happy Fragile Things Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I totally remember that assignment in drama class! I did Hurt by Nine Inch Nails! Remember I wanted to do Pea by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Mr. Murray (who is my facebook friend, lol) said no??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drama was the best and I totally remember you wanting to do Pea too! We had some good times in that class :)

    ReplyDelete