Monday, July 30, 2012

New On The Shelf: The Library Edition


All summer I’ve been making weekly visits to the library with Venessa.  It’s a way to get out of the apartment for a bit without spending money and to stay out of the Florida humidity as much as possible.  It’s also to help Venessa find books that interest her enough to want to sit and read on her own.  It’s helped but we’ve had to go through a lot of different chapter book series to find the ones that interest her, which have turned out to be the Ivy & Bean and Babymouse series.  She’s had a good mix of other books as well that helped her complete her second Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Log.  So this last Saturday we went to B&N to get her free book for completing the reading log.  She chose Underworlds: The Battle Begins by Tony Abbott and I also got her the Brave Junior Novelization.  I had planned the bookstore trip so we’d be there for storytime but unbeknownst to me, until I heard the announcement, The Cat in the Hat would be making a visit.  We ended up not bothering with storytime because suddenly my eight year old daughter has a phobia of people in animal costumes!  She wouldn’t even look at The Cat in the Hat!


We lingered for a bit then left.  The main library branch was hosting an event so we went to that and with no furries in sight, Venessa had a good time.  There were several stations with themes such as Scary Stories, Night Animals and The Night Sky.  They had snacks, stories and activities.  We ended up staying for the entire event, the whole two hours.  Of course I got in some browsing for myself while we were there.  When we first arrived we had a large sack of books to return.  I told Venessa we should probably take it easy and not check out so many.  Did I listen to my own advice?  Of course not!  I’m not ashamed to admit that some books I saw at B&N I made note of and was fortunate to find at the library (having a Goodreads app on your phone with easy access to your To Read shelf is not necessarily a good idea).  So basically what I’m trying to say is that my Summer Reading plans are out the window.



(Not pictured: Spoiled by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan, Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai and The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt)


1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing when I am in the bookstore or online, I look first on the library website to see if I can check it out, unless it is a must-have author whose book I am sure I need to own.

    Those books ought to keep you busy for a few days. ;)

    ReplyDelete