Thursday, May 31, 2012

Trailer Roundup: The Great Gatsby and Les Misérables

The last few days we were given a treat: Teasers for two movies I’m very excited to see! There was The Great Gatsby and Les Misérables with a first glimpse into two very remarkable movies with very remarkable and devoted fans of the source material.  Let's take a look! 


The Great Gatsby

   

I like it. A lot. But of course I do because I’m a fan of Baz Luhrmann and his Spectacular Spectacular-ness! I’ve seen rumblings on the internet about why 3-D. Why not? Why can’t we have something in 3-D that’s not blowing up in our face? I want to be enveloped in the Roaring Twenties in all its extravagant and emotional glory. My only issue is Tobey Maguire’s narration. He wasn’t very good at it in Spiderman and it’s just not working for me here in this trailer. Plus I watched about ten minutes of Ride with the Devil. It wasn’t a very good ten minutes. I may be more kinder than some when it comes to this trailer but then, the last time I read this book was in high school so I only remember the basic plot of the story so all that deep stuff we discussed has been long forgotten and I’m all about the pretty right now with this trailer.

Les Misérables

   


I only know of this from listening to the 10th Anniversary Concert (having recorded in off of PBS and waiting through their ridiculously long breaks) and listening to my Les Mis CD about a hundred times. I’ve never seen it on stage or read the book, so I’m really excited about seeing a fully realized setting to the songs I know and love. Seeing Hugh Jackman and Russell Crow as Jean Valjean and Javert is just incredible! I know Russell Crow can rock the period costume after watching him in Master and Commander. I've never heard him sing before so that will be interesting. I’ve heard Hugh Jackman sing when he hosted the Academy Awards and his brilliant routine with Neil Patrick Harris. He makes me smile the way Gene Kelly does. He’s so natural and he looks good in this movie. Anne Hathaway, who is singing in this trailer brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Her voice is a little wobbly, a bit weak (but then I’ve been listening to Ruthie Henshall the whole time as Fantine) but I feel something, I feel Fantine’s pain and desperation. That’s a good thing! And then I did read they are singing live on set so...



What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Les Miserables is easily my favorite musical of all time. I've seen it on Broadway and seen it on numerous traveling off-Broadway runs. Just hearing the musical literally sends chills all over me. It is such a powerful musical, one about law and grace, about mercy and forgiveness, and about so many other things. LOVE IT! I'm so excited they are doing a film version and it looks like it is going to be very, very well done. With The Hobbit and this coming out at the end of the year, I am beside myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see this on stage at some point. And I know what you mean about December... it's going to be a great month with these two movies :)

      Delete