Thursday, July 21, 2011

To Read Or Not To Read: A Princess of Mars


Last week I started reading A Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I feel bad saying this but I’m not feeling it. So far it’s been alright. It’s well written, too the point and moves at a nice steady pace.

I should want to read it. It’s a classic. I wasn’t that into A Tale of Two Cities at first but I’m glad I stuck with it because it got REALLY good in the second half. Maybe the same will happen with a Princess of Mars, but maybe not.

I really want to read it knowing the movie John Carter will be coming out next year and it’s directed by Andrew Stanton, who directed two Pixar movies: Finding Nemo and WALL-E. Then I watched the trailer and I didn’t feel anything for it. When I watched the teaser trailer for The Dark Knight Returns I was pretty excited even though I haven’t been a huge fan of the two previous Batman movies. When I saw The Three Musketeers trailer it angered me. The point is I felt something. With the John Carter trailer I felt nothing. I wasn’t impressed and I think it contributed to not wanting to continue reading A Princess of Mars.

But it wasn’t just the trailer. I was not feeling it even when I began. I was forcing myself to read it and I should have known better. Whenever I try to force myself to read something I lose interest, and not just in what I’m reading, but I lose interest when I try to read other books. Not good!

I love reading! I need a good book at all times! I’ll have to pause and return to A Princess of Mars when it’s the right time. It doesn’t feel good to be in a reading slump and I need to get out of it before it gets worse. Now, what to read... that is the question…

To be continued…

1 comment:

  1. Nah, I have the trilogy, and it stays pretty much the same the whole time.

    ReplyDelete